Unable to decide between the Shoei RF-1200 vs Shoei GT Air 2?
I’m here to help!
I’ll help you make a clear decision of which one of these two motorcycle helmets is the better choice for you, and why.
Let’s take a look!
Shoei RF-1200 vs. Shoei GT Air 2
Shoei RF-1200 Wins!
- It’s Lighter in Weight.
- More Comfortable.
- Reduces Wind Noise.
If you don’t feel these two helmets match your needs, check out these best-selling motorcycle helmets on Amazon! They’re selling like hotcakes! 🍰 Have a look at least, maybe you’ll like what you see. 😉
- DOT Approved; Size L (57-58 CM,22.4/22.8 Inch)ï¼›the helmet comes with one installed tinted shield and one extra spare clear s
- Advance Aerodynamics Design & Quick Release Buckle Design;
- Light Weight Durable Aerodynamic Thermoplastic Alloy Shell
- Beautiful Glossy UV Protective Finish
- Removable and Washable Padding
- High Resistance ABS Shell With Micrometrically Adjustable Strap
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Helmet Liner / Cheek Pads are Lightweight, Soft and Easily Removable and Washable
- Sleek and Lightweight Design Reduces Wind Noise
- Modular Flip-Up Function Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fog and Wide View Clear Visor
- 2 Visors Included: Clear + Smoked and 1 Neck Scarf for Winter Use
- Streamlined Aerodynamic Design Reduces Wind Noise and Drag
- Advanced and Lightweight Durable ABS Shell
- Quick Release Clasp and Strap and Removable Inner Lining Pads
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Boasting a compact, aerodynamic DOT shell design with sharp and aggressive styling for impeccable impact protection to excel whether short-distance street performance or long-distance touring comfort.
- Multiple conscientiously designed ventilation panels effective in streamlining the cooling process to assist with freshening the rider's experience. Large lower vent shutters for ease of use with riding gloves.
- Trendsetting springs for precise functionality ensuring a superior wind and water sealant layer. Unique 3D molded shield designed to ensure a distortion-free view throughout the entire field of vision.
- Removable Breath Guard rerouting the rider’s breath to reduce shield fogging. Inserted Chin Curtain designed to reduce wind turbulence and noise. Quick-Release Chin Strap for effortless usage.
- Fully removable, washable, and replaceable microfiber inner material that absorbs sweat without compromising comfort or security. Plus the GLX One-Year Limited Manufacturer.
- Multi-purpose Balaclava: The full face masks are Multifunctional： uv sun/dust proof, windproof ,anti-pollen，Helmet lining,mosquito protection, Cover up tattoo etc..They are ideal for men and women go cycling, Motorcycling, skiing, snowboarding, trekking, climbing ,fishing hiking, working on boat ,mow grass and other Outdoor Sports or jobs. Very useful in daily life.
- It’s a great way to keep mouth and nose covered. You can give a little extra protection by adding a fold paper towel or disposable mask between your face and mask.High Quality Face Masks are made of Lycra Fabric that Establish Exquisite Performance for Breathability, Absorbency, Wicking, Durability and Abrasion Resistance.
- For your safety before wearing face mask,Please hand-wash them.Dark color will fade, please wash them separately.They are very soft. Wrinkle Free. Lightweight. Extremely strong and durable, portable and comfortable - quick drying and machine washable.
- The face hood Can be worn as an open or closed balaclava, bandana,face cover,scarf, neck gaiter,headband ,hat or face mask, also pulled down under chin. It can be also used as extra face protection under your helmet. The balaclava keep your face skin away from cold, wind, dust and sun's uv rays, so you can enjoy outdoor sports.
- One size fits most: can be worn on its own or under any kind of helmet. Fabric is hypo-allergenic and non-irritating to the skin. Machine washable and quick dry.
“The price is amazing. Very lightweight and extremely comfortable. It is DOT and SNELL rated which is a big plus.”
Having met the minimum safety testing requirements, DOT/ECE 22-05 has approved the Shoei RF-1200 for sale. At the time of writing, it has not been reviewed by SHARP – but it has been Snell certified.
For a while now, Shoei has been wind tunnel testing their helmets, and the design of the RF-1200 is a good example of that. An RF-1200 that is uncluttered will be quiet due to its low wind noise caused by no clutter.
Under the rear spoiler, a cleverly hidden exhaust vent is located underneath the RF-1200’s rear chin vent and three forehead vents. The vents can all be closed/opened with gloved hands and aren’t particularly fiddly to operate – with the exception of the rear exhaust, though you don’t want to tinker with that when riding.
I would describe the Shoei RF-1200 crash helmet as pretty understated, although looks are very subjective
No doubt, the Shoei RF-1200 is an excellent helmet. Shoei helmets are legendary for their quality, well-built, and high-end materials that feel like they are expensive and premium.
Also, it performs well by ensuring your safety and being comfortable and quiet with all the parts you need to work correctly such as shields, vents, and the inside.
In addition to the quick release system and the quality visor, this helmet is equipped with a few nice features. Value for money is an area where it does fall short.
A lid of this quality costs a lot of money. However, we are fairly certain you’ll enjoy your new Shoei RF-1200 if this isn’t a problem for you.
“The BILT was incredibly noisy at any speed above “crawl”, never felt like it fit right, and fogged no matter what I did unless I opened the face shield completely. It also had a habit of making my head whip back and forth in the wind at highway speeds.”
Shoei developed a sports/tourist helmet that builds on and improves something that was already exceptional.
If you look at our review of the original GT Air, you’ll see that few changes have been made – but the improved aerodynamics, deeper sun visor that extends further, and more air vents make this helmet more comfortable.
A SHARP independent test of the old helmet (ECE helmet) gave it a few points less than it did in the old helmet’s safety rating, and neither that helmet nor the GT Air 2 has been Snell-tested. It scored four out of five stars since the similar AIM-shelled Neotec II and RF-SR (called RYD in Europe) both scored four out of five stars when tested by Singlepoint Research).
There’s no doubt about that, however: it’s highly rated by owners who tend to universally praise the GT Air II’s comfort, shield system (with Pinlock anti-fog included), and noise suppression.
All in all, the Shoei GT Air II is a highly versatile sports-touring helmet that is often ranked among the best on the market for performance.