Today we take a look at a comparison between the Shoei RF SR vs RF 1,200 from Shoei motorcycle helmets.
If you don’t want to read through the whole thing, here’s our winner and why it is a superior helmet than the other.
Shoei Size Chart and How to Measure
Here’s a quick guide on how you can measure your head for Shoei’s helmets to check if they fit your head perfectly. Make sure to do this step before you buy, especially if you’re buying a Shoei helmet for the first time.
Shoei RF SR vs. Shoei RF 1200
Shoei RF SR – A Detailed Overview
“A little after I bought it I went down. Pretty serious accident with front end damage on my bike and injuries to me but no head damage or injuries and never lost consciousness. So A+ on saving my life.”
Shoei—which is well known for manufacturing the RF-1200, a premium full-face helmet that goes for $482.99 to $626.99—recently made a shoe that shares many of the same features of its more expensive lids at a much lower cost.
RF-SR has the same composite materials used on RF-1200 shell, fiberglass and organic-fiber reinforced resin, which results in high strength and lightweight.
RF-SR also uses Shoei’s QRE adjustable base, which enables users to easily change shields with no tools.
In addition to the comfortable liner with adjustable grips, the RF-SR helmet has a quick-release system that can be used by EMTs to quickly release the cheek pads, allowing for easier removal of the helmet from downed riders.
Shoei’s other lids fit as snug as the RF-SR.
In fact, the main differences between the RF-1200 and the RF-SR are cosmetic; the RF-1200 is available in 33 solid shades and graphics, whereas the RF-SR’s vent pieces are black versus color-matched or detailed.
The RF-1200 has a more aggressive venting system on the EPS liner, while the RF-SR still has three adjustable vents on the front of the helmet that may be used with gloves on.
There is also an exhaust vent in the back with great airflow throughout the crown as well as in the eyeport and chin areas when they are open.
With a comfort liner that’s lighter, more sporty, and more advanced, the RF-1200 also offers superior odor control and cooling, but when I wore them back-to-back my noggin couldn’t tell any difference.
RF-1200 with a weight of 56.3 ounces is only 1.3 ounces heavier than a large RF-SR with a weight of only 1.3 ounces.
Quality equipment with high-end materials for more comfortable and quiet wearing—the Shoei RF-SR boasts everything you need, nothing you do not.
Also Check: Shoei NXR vs RF 1200
Shoei RF 1200 – A Detailed Overview
“This is one of the best models Shoei has. This model has been upgraded by RF-1400, so you are getting like 40-50% off ( so grab it while you can!). Helmet is super comfortable and very quiet.”
With a shell designed in the tunnel that is aerodynamic and is lighter than all the full-face Shoei full-face helmets until now, the RF-1200 is compact with just 56 ounces for a size large.
With four shell sizes within the XS to 2XL size range to choose from, this bike feels like it was made for you immediately after it’s broken in.
The removable cheek pads can be cut to any thickness for even more fit customization and will feature a new Emergency Release System that can be quickly installed by EMTs so that the helmet can be safely removed from the rider’s head without neck strain.
Despite its full-removal, washable, and replaceable nature, the soft comfort liner keeps you cool, comfortable, and comfortable while feeling snug without making you feel uncomfortable or hot.
A dual-layer, multi-density EPS foam that cushions the nose during impact has channels molded into the foam to allow air to flow from three closed vents beneath the comfort liner.
A helmet has four exhaust vents, two of which are able to be sealed, and a vent that fights fog that can be adjusted in three positions.
Since so much air was flowing through the vents, even with them closed, my gloves were no hindrance to the airflow.
In case it doesn’t stay fog-free after you restyle the face shield, it comes with an anti-fog insert.
New face shield design CWR-1 for the RF-1200, scratch-resistant and distortion-free, made from injection-molded material, blocks 99 percent UV rays.
Reinforced ribs at the top and bottom make the shield sit tightly against the dual-lipped shield seals on the helmet eyeports, and the shield’s quick-release base plates and spring-loaded springs will make shield changes quick and easy.
It is no longer possible to use the old shield lock to temporarily secure the device in the closed position but can use it again to keep it open for additional defogging.
The RF-1200’s shield fits so tightly when closed, I can’t imagine it leaking in the rain. It has five-stage rotating dials on each plate that let you tailor the shield fit.
Between fully closed and fully open, eight detents hold it in any position.
From its luxurious comfort to the protection it offers and its sophisticated shield system, everything about the RF-1200 is top-class.
Although there are plenty of vents on the helmet, it’s still more quiet than Shoei’s own GT-Air with its vents closed.
Its compact size, in addition to the spoiler’s plastic construction, and the large clavicular scoops appear to have contributed to the weight savings.
In addition to the Pinlock insert and removable breath guard, the Shoei RF-1200 also comes with a removable chin curtain. It can be ordered in sizes XS-2XL.
Don’t like either of these two helmets? Check out these instead. These are selling like hotcakes! 🍰 Have a look at least, maybe you’ll like what you see. 😉
- High Resistance ABS Shell With Micrometrically Adjustable Strap
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Helmet Liner / Cheek Pads are Lightweight, Soft and Easily Removable and Washable
- Sleek and Lightweight Design Reduces Wind Noise
- Modular Flip-Up Function Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fog and Wide View Clear Visor
- Modular helmet design with retractable sun visor
- Speakers and a microphone integrated into the helmet
- 4-Way Bluetooth Intercom, with 2-Way HD Intercom, powered by Bluetooth 5.0
- Three-button control located on the left side
- DOT & ECE rated, Dual Homologated P/J approved
- Helmet shown with optional tinted shield. (Ships with clear shield only)
- Lightweight Polycarbonate/ABS shell Construction. Padded wind collar drastically reduces wind and road noise
- NutraFog II UV-protected shield which is a ClickRelease shield for fast, easy and tool-free shield replacement
- Velocity Flow Ventilation system with FlowAdjust
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
- Meet and Exceed DOT Safety standards. Quality ABS shell and high density EPS foam, ILM-817 full face motorcycle helmet ensures safe riding whether on adventure touring rides or just cruising in the city.
- Anti-fog Pinlock 30 Prepared Helmet Face Shields. Fog resistant while riding motorbikes or snowmobiles, the motorcycle helmets with Pinlock visor ensure safer riding in winter or cold days.
- Pinlock insert and 2 face shield are available. The clear visor comes with the motorcycle helmet, tinted visor and Pinlock insert are in the package. Remove the films before using the lenses.
- Ventilation system, ultra soft pads and quick release buckle make the motorcycle helmets breathable, comfortable and easy to wear. Slide to open and close the air vents. Top liner and cheek pads are removable and washable.
- This full face helmet for men and women is an ideal protective gear for motorcycle, snowmobile, motocross, street bike, AVT, MTB, touring, adventuring and other powersports.
- Sena communication devices help you stay connected and in control
- For Motorcycling, Cycling, Outdoor, Industrial and beyond
- Keep in touch while hiking, climbing, skydiving, boating, or doing whatever gets you outside.
- Bluetooth technology 3.0 8 hours of talk time and 110 hours of standby. Fully washable microfiber lining and adjustable vents. The size of this helmet: M: 55-56CM, L: 57-58CM, XL: 59-60CM.
- Group intercom between 6 – 8 cyclists with a maximum distance of up to 3,280 feet, only compatible with Bluetooth ILM helmets and Bluetooth helmets with group intercom function. 2 high quality built-in speakers with full stereo sound.
- One-touch control to call, answer, reject incoming calls, and dial again. The incoming call cancels the intercom, music, FM radio and GPS navigation audio.
- Meets or exceeds DOT safety standards. DSP echo cancellation and noise suppression technology delivers high-quality voice at high speeds.
- Known issues with the Bluetooth system: When the helmet's Bluetooth system has not been used for a long time, the battery will enter deep sleep mode. During this time, Bluetooth mode may not be available. To wake up the battery, charge the battery for about half an hour. After this charging, the Bluetooth functionality will be restored. If the helmet accessories received are missing, welcome to contact ILM customer service for help.
- Ultra light weight durable aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell;
- 3-level top ventilation control and 5-position ventilation channel;
- Heavily cushioned and comfortable interior, Removable and washable
- Beautiful glossy UV protective finish;
- Aerodynamic rear venturi-effect exhaust spoiler; DOT Approved
- 2 Visors Included: Clear + Smoked and 1 Neck Scarf for Winter Use
- Streamlined Aerodynamic Design Reduces Wind Noise and Drag
- Advanced and Lightweight Durable ABS Shell
- Quick Release Clasp and Strap and Removable Inner Lining Pads
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- DOT Approved; Size XL (59-60 CM,23.2/23.6 Inch)
- Advanced Modular/Flip up and Dual Lens Design (inner smoked lens/outer clear shield);
- Light Weight Durable Aerodynamic Thermoplastic Alloy Shell
- Beautiful Glossy UV Protective Finish
- Removable and Washable Padding
- T1 Helmets run on the large side!!!
- Fiberglass Tri-Composite Shell, Front Chin Vents with Metal Mesh Intake and Exhaust Vent
- Removable Shield, Faux Suede Liner, Meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218
- Padded Chin Strap with D-Ring Closure, Multi-Density EPS
- Anti-Fog & Anti-Scratch Shield, Certified DOT & ECE 22.5